ACC 564 Week 7 Assignment 3
Fraud in the Accounting Information System
For this assignment, research the Internet or Strayer databases to locate a firm that was involved in a fraud and / or embezzlement case.
Explain how the firm’s accounting information system (i.e., components and functions) contributed to the fraud and / or embezzlement. You will need to focus on how each component / function of the accounting information system failed, which resulted in the scandal / case.
Write a ten to twelve (10-12) page paper in which you:
- Based on the information you researched, assess the failure of the firm’s accounting information system to prevent the related fraud / embezzlement.
- Imagine that the company that you researched uses a third-party accounting system. Evaluate the effectiveness of the firm’s stakeholder in the event that a third-party accounting system suffers a breach. Include an assessment of the level of responsibility of the software provider to the business and its clients. Provide support for your rationale.
- Determine what advances in accounting and / or information technology could have prevented the event from occurring. Provide support for your argument.
- Evaluate what changes should be made to both the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 and other current laws in order to make them more effective in deterring companies from committing crimes.
- Recommend a strategy that the company you indicated may use to prevent future business information failures. Indicate how the company should approach the implementation of your recommended strategy. Provide support for your recommendation.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze the business activities that comprise an accounting information system to determine the information needs to support decision-making function.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in accounting information systems.
- Write clearly and concisely about accounting information systems using proper writing mechanics.